Course: Health Unit Coordinator (HUC)
Course length: 12-weeks
Class days: Every Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Next available class:
August 15 – November 02
Career Outlook and Description:
The career outlook between 2021 and 2031 was expected to be good, with very fast job growth of 8% expected for medical secretaries. Health Unit Coordinators earned a median salary of $46,772 in January 2023, according to PayScale.com.
A health care unit coordinator, also called a unit secretary, performs administrative tasks in a clinical setting. They help coordinate services and communicate with patients, families, and medical staff. Health Unit Coordinators work in hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and doctors’ offices. They perform the following job duties:
- Process patient admissions, transfers and discharges.
- Transcribe doctor notes
- Order lab tests
- Answer and process department telephone calls
- Exchange health information
- Prepare patient electronic health records and charts
- Act as a patient advocate
- Operate communication equipment such as intercom systems, fax machines, pagers, scanners, and email.
- Maintain supply of forms and office materials
- Prepare admission and discharge packets
- Perform record keeping
- Allocate shift staff according to patient acuity
- Adhere to infection control standards
- Screen telephone calls and visitor request for patient information.
- Adhere to HIPAA guidelines to protect health information.
Course Information: Participants of the Health Unit Coordinator Training Program at Michigan Healthcare Academy (MHA) will enjoy in-person lecture, theory and laboratory instruction taught by experienced Certified Health Unit Coordinators, who have demonstrated expertise in the field of office administration and who meet or exceed government criteria and qualifications.
Students will receive a certificate of training upon successful completion of this course. This certificate will allow students to sit for the National Association of Health Unit Coordinators, Inc.’s (NAHUC) National Health Unit Coordinator Certification Examination (www.nahuc.org). Candidates who pass this written exam are designated Certified Health Unit Coordinators (CHUC).
- 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalent
- English Fluency (verbal and written)
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds and to reach overhead
Program Tuition: $1399.00 Deposit amount $399.00 (applied towards tuition)
Payment plans available.
- Registration fee
- All course materials
- Resume building and interview skills workshop
- MHA school patch
- Certificate, upon successful completion of the course
- Free work placement assistance
Not included in tuition:
- Uniform/Scrubs (lavender color)
- Textbooks: LaFleur Brooks’ Health Unit Coordinating 7th edition with the coordinating skills practice manual. Please bring your textbooks to the first day of class
Weekly Payment Plan: MHA also allows you to apply pre-arranged interest-free payments on your program.
Michigan Works: We are an approved training provider with Michigan Works. If you are currently unemployed,
you may be eligible to receive paid tuition and training costs through Michigan Works. Just contact the Michigan Works office
in your area and let them know that you are interested in taking the Central Sterile Processing Technician program at Michigan
Installment Plan: Our credit card processing company, “Square” offers financing for up to 12 months for approved students.
You may apply on their website at squareinstallments.com/apply/mham and “AfterPay” – which will allow you to break up payments into 4-bi-weekly installments.
All class cancellations must be in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only partial tuition costs are refundable for the Nurse Aide Training Program. If you need to cancel a program, for any reason, you will be issued the following tuition refund after the refund charge is applied:
20% 8-14 business days before class starts
30% 3-7 business days before class starts
50% 2-3 business days before class starts
NO REFUND 1 business day before class and thereafter
*Costs associated with registration fees, textbooks, and school patches are non-refundable.