Course: Dialysis Technician (with internship at DaVita Dialysis Center)
Course length: 15 weeks (120 hours)
Class days: Every Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Internship: Additional 120 hours
Next available classes:
February 21, 2023 – June 01, 2023
July 11, 2023 – October 19, 2023
November 07. 2023 – February 22, 2024
A Dialysis Technician also known as a Hemodialysis Technician is a healthcare professional who operates hemodialysis machines to provide dialysis treatment for patients with kidney failure who can no longer remove toxins from their blood.
Hemodialysis Technicians are amongst the fastest growing health care occupations! Dialysis technician job opportunities are expected to grow as the population ages and more people require dialysis. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts an 11% increase in medical and clinical laboratory technician occupations between 2020 and 2030 (www.bls.gov) and Indeed.com reports that the average salary for a dialysis technician is $25.38 per hour in the state of Michigan (6/30/22).
Dialysis Technicians work in hospitals, clinics, and dialysis centers under the supervision of a registered nurse or physician and perform the following job duties:
- responsible for operation of kidney dialysis machines,
- monitoring patient health status
- obtaining vital signs
- preparing dialyzer reprocessing and delivery systems
- educating patients on dialysis
- maintaining and cleaning equipment.
Participants of the Dialysis Technician Training Program at Michigan Healthcare Academy (MHA) will enjoy in-person lecture, theory, and laboratory instruction, taught by experienced Registered Nurses and Certified Dialysis Technicians, who have demonstrated expertise in the field of dialysis administration and who meet or exceed government criteria and qualifications. Course curriculum will consist of:
- The Dialysis Environment
- Principals of Kidney Failure
- The role of the Dialysis Technician
- Dialysis Treatment
- Patient Assessment (including vital signs)
- Medical Terminology
- Hemodialysis Devices
- Vascular Access (Phlebotomy)
- Water Treatment
- Emergency Procedures
- Legal Aspects of Care
- And MUCH more!
This comprehensive program includes a thorough 120-hour internship component which will provide real-world experience with hands-on training at an approved DaVita Dialysis Center. American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS/CPR) training and a resume building and interview skills workshop, are also included to fully prepare you for your new career!
Students will receive a certificate of training upon successful completion of this course. This certificate will allow students to sit for the national certification exam. Federal guidelines (Centers for Medicaid and Medicare) require that you become certified as a Dialysis technician within 18 months of employment in the dialysis field. Michigan Healthcare Academy is committed to the success of our graduates and works hard to assist them in obtaining employment. In most cases, students have received at least one job offer prior to graduation.
- 18 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- English Fluency (verbal and written)
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds and to reach overhead
- Proof of COVID vaccination or exemption letter needed prior to internship
Program Tuition: $1499.00
- Registration fee
- All course work
- DaVita Dialysis Internship
- Criminal background check
- Resume building and interview skills workshop
- MHA school patch
- Certificate, upon successful completion of the course
- Free work placement assistance
Not included in tuition:
- Lab fee $100.00
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing – available during course $40.00
- Certification exam
- Uniform/Scrubs (Navy blue)
- Textbook: Core Curriculum for the Dialysis Technician 6th edition – Please bring your textbook to the first day of class!!!
*Supply package available: Textbook, TB testing and uniform available from the school for $149.00 -MUST BE INCLDED ON ORIGINAL INVOICE TO RECEIVE.
Weekly Payment Plan: MHA allows you to make pre-arranged, interest-free payments on your program. Please call to set up your payment plan.
Michigan Works: We are an approved training provider with Michigan Works. If you are currently unemployed or underemployed, you may be eligible to receive paid tuition and training costs through Michigan Works. Simply, contact the Michigan Works office in your area or call the school office for further assistance.
What are you waiting for? Call (586) 738-6632 today and launch your career as a Healthcare Hero!